Friday, July 27, 2012

Low Calorie Paula Deen Tomato Pie


A few weeks ago while in Atlanta, my aunt made this amazing Tomato Pie. It was seriously delicious!! So, I found Paula Deen's recipe for it but decided to make a lower calorie version of it. I also substituted a white onion for her green onion because I'm not much of a green onion fan.

Ingredients
  • 3 or 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
  • a couple of basil leaves (I don't use as many as Paula)
  • 1/2 white onion (chopped)
  • 1 Pillsbury pie crust
  • 3/4 cup grated reduced fat mozzarella
  • 3/4 cup reduced fat grated cheddar
  • 1 cup Miracle Whip light
  • Salt and pepper
Directions
 1. Cut a cross slit in the tomatoes.

 2. Drop them in boiling water for about 30-45 seconds.

 3. Immediately put them in ice water so they will stop cooking.

 4. Peel away the outer skin of the tomato.

5. Slice them and put them in a colander so some of the juice will drain. Then pat them really, really dry with a paper towel. This is a really important step!!! If you don't get the tomatoes dry enough, your tomato layer will be very juicy and your crust will be soggy.

6.  Place the tomatoes on top of the pie crust and add some salt and pepper. (I didn't pre-bake my crust like Paula suggests and it turned out just fine.)

7. Blend together 1/2 white onion and a few Basil leaves.

8. Place onion/basil mixture over the tomatoes.

9. Mix together your cheeses and miracle whip.

10. Top the tomatoes with your miracle whip and cheese and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the top is brown.

 11. Enjoy your pie!!!

**Nutrition Note: The entire pie has about 1,700 calories. I sliced my pie into about 6 slices so that averages about 280 calories per slice. Not too bad for a meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment