Thursday, March 08, 2012

Strawberry Cream Cupcakes

I wanted to make strawberry cupcakes for Lexie Kate's birthday and came across several recipes online. I combined them and then made some changes to make them fit exactly what I was looking for. These cupcakes are divine and although I'm usually not a strawberry fan, they might be one of my favorite cupcakes so far.


Cupcakes (Makes about 18)
  • 2 cups sifted flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/4 cup frozen strawberries
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture alternating with the sour cream.
4. Puree the strawberries in a blender or food processor.
5. Fold the strawberry mixture into the batter.
6. Bake for 14-20 minutes. (My oven cooks quickly so I do 14 minutes but adjust time according to your oven.)
7. Scoop the middle out of the cupcakes with a small spoon (I use a melon baller) and put in a small amount of strawberry mousse.
8. Pipe on the frosting with a piping bag and a 2M tip from Wilton.
9. Enjoy!!


Strawberry Mousse Filling

  • 3-4 cups of frozen strawberries
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
Directions
1. In a food processor, combine strawberries and sugar; cover and process until smooth.
2. Add in pudding mix.
3. Put mixture into a bowl and fold in Cool Whip.


Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
  • 1 stick of unsalted butter
  • 2-3 cups of confectioners sugar (I prefer my frosting not too sweet so I use 2 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
  • Pinch of salt

Directions
1. Cream butter and sugar together.
2. Add vanilla and whipping cream 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. Add salt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment