Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes



I saw this idea on Pinterest and just knew I had to do it. I made a vanilla cupcake and added cinnamon. Then made a whipped cream cheese frosting and added crushed Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. Yum!!
Enjoy!!!

Cupcakes (Makes about 18)

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • **1 3/4 cups cake flour (see note)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1/8 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup whole milk
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
**Cake flour: I didn't have cake flour so I made my own. For every cup of all-purpose flour you use, take out 2 Tbs. and add 2 Tbs. of cornstarch. Transferring from one bowl to the next, sift the flour and cornstarch about 4 times until it is really fine.
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. In a small bowl, combine sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla.
  3. Using a spatula or fork, mix together well to break up any clumps created from the vanilla.
  4. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  5. Add the sugar and vanilla mixture and mix until well combined.
  6. Add butter and mix on medium-low speed.
  7. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
  8. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
  9. Slowly add milk and mix on low speed until just combined. 
  10. Add in cinnamon.
  11. Fill cupcake liners just over 1/2 full.
  12. Bake for 14 minutes and then test to see if they are done. 

Frosting

  •  1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • **1 1/4 cups of powdered sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  •  **2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • **1 1/2 cups crushed Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
**The recipe I originally saw called for a lot less vanilla and sugar. It didn't taste all that great so I just kept adding vanilla and sugar until it tasted right. I'm not totally sure these are the right amounts but it's my best guess based on how much I think I added. I didn't measure out the cereal but I'm pretty sure it's around 1 1/2 cups. Really, it's all a matter of taste so you may prefer more or less of each of these ingredients.
  1. In a small bowl beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then fold in whipped cream. 
  3. Mix in crushed cereal.

No comments:

Post a Comment